Recipe & Photo from Mariana Gates
150gm drained sun-dried tomatoes in oil
4 cloves garlic, peeled
2 small ripe roma tomatoes
1/3 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
2tbsp shredded fresh basil leaves
½ tsp cracked black peppercorns
½ cup olive oil
Using sharp knife, nick roma tomatoes top & tail.
- Put in bowl; pour in hot water to cover; leave 1 min or till skin begins to lift.
- Drain; submerge in cold for 1min.
- Peel off tomato skins which should easily come away. Chop roughly.
- Slice or chop sun-dried tomatoes.
- Slice garlic.
- In a small or medium sized food processor with blade attachment add fresh tomato, sun-dried tomatoes & garlic. Pulse a few times; process for no longer than 30sec.
- Add remaining ingredients except for oil. Pulse; process for no more than 1 minute. Add oil; process till mixture is well distributed, but not to point where ingredients are too fine. Texture is nice.
- Put in large glass jar; firmly tap on bench to help settle contents (to avoid air pockets); pour over a little oil; lid. Will keep in refrigerator for one month.
- Don’t use Semi sun-dried tomatoes. Your end result will be pale in colour, lack intensity and not keep as well.
- Pine nuts are costly. Substitute with cashews, pistachios or almonds if desired.